(carrot, red bell pepper, red onion, galanga, garlic, scallion, cilantro, tamari)
Butternut Squash Ravioli *
* these were made back in the Fall and then frozen and vacuum sealed -- and only one broke when boiled -- a pretty good ratio ;)
Posted by tofu at 11:12 PM
Pasta Puttanesca *
(onion, garlic, red pepper flakes, kalamata olives, green olives, capers, soyrizo, tomato, salt and pepper)
* My son made this -- I did the chopping, he got all the ingredients out and did the measuring and stirring. It's become his signature dish -- but I'll wait to explain the name for a little while longer... ;)
also, ignore the stunt photography -- it was a nice evening and I had just mowed the back yard ;)
Posted by tofu at 11:17 PM
(tomato, lettuce, pickle, olives, baby spinach, red onion, mustard vinaigrette on a baguette)*
* our version of a sub, you can tell there's still lots of tomatoes left... ;)
Posted by tofu at 11:15 PM
Spicy Noodle Pie
(pan-fried soba noodles w/rooster sauce and chives)
Seared/Steamed Green Beans
Grilled Tofu on Lemongrass Skewers*
* the lemongrass works fine as long as they're small diameter, otherwise they break the tofu cubes
Posted by tofu at 11:28 PM
Tomato and Onion Panade
(tomato, onion, garlic, veg stock, salt, pepper and day old bread)
(with creamy dill sauce)
* probably the last time you'll see a panade until the fall, but we scored a case of some inexpensive (yet perfectly fine) tomatoes Wednesday, and decided to go with the alternate version of the Panade we usually make (w/ chard and kale). Once it cooled down, it was as tasty as the regular version -- from the Zuni Cafe cookbook...
Posted by tofu at 11:49 PM
Grilled Eggplant "Sushi" *
(grilled eggplant toppped with a layer of pesto and toasted walnuts, then rolled up and cut in half making two "rolls")
Pureed Fava Beans on Grilled Baguette
Sauteed Morel Mushrooms **
* these were tasty -- the grilled eggplant worked well with the pesto and rolled up nicely -- very easy to make. And the pesto (frozen from last year bumper crop) still invokes that August feeling ;)
** w00t! the morels kicked ass!
Posted by tofu at 11:24 PM
Fusilli w/ Pesto and Grilled Asparagus *
(w/ stelline pasta, carrots, kidney beans, fennel and leek stock)
(from Jamie Oliver -- celeriac, capers, cornichon pickles, veganaise, vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper)
* could this be anymore GREEN?
Posted by tofu at 11:31 PM
(poblanos stuffed with potato and onion)
(masa cakes stuffed w/ soyrizo and soy cheese)
(w/ chipotle margarine)
Posted by tofu at 11:39 PM
(hoisin tofu, carrot, red bell pepper, galanga, garlic)
(garlic, red pepper flake, rooster sauce, hoisin sauce, galanga)
* today was "Community Trash Day" wherein the citizens take to their yards and dump out all that crap from their basements and garages that are too big for the regular garbage service -- dishwashers, old TV's, tables, and all the giant branches that fell from winter -- and put them out by the curb. We contributed two pick-up truck loads full of broken dehumidifiers, sump pumps and our broken swing from down by the lake. By the time we came back with the second load, half of the first load was already gone! Scrap metal guys cruise around the neighborhood looking for anything they can salvage before the city gets to it...
Anyway -- that was half the day, and we were exhausted -- so that means comfort food for dinner. The eggplant was especially tasty and spicy...
Posted by tofu at 11:58 PM
Spaghetti w/ Tomato Sauce
this is the time of year where there's a ton of after school activities -- tonight was the Spring Choir show and both of my kids were in it, so another quick dinner before we rushed out the door...
Posted by tofu at 11:00 PM
(cherry and chipotle glazed)
Green Bean Salad
(green beans, red onion, cilantro, tomato, garlic, red-wine vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper)
* the house smelled wonderful for the rest of the evening
Posted by tofu at 11:03 PM
A few things to consider while reading this blog
1. When an ingredient is listed like [this], it means [this] was the original ingredient in the recipe. 99% of the recipes get adapted in one form or another.
2. When Tofu is referred to, it usually means extra firm tofu, If the (softer) tofu in the aseptic box is used, it'll be noted. Boxed tofu mostly gets used in cream sauces.
Assume that we're talking about Rice Milk, Vegan Cheese and non bone-char sugar.
3. Links to recipes are shown when available, if there's no link, we'll try to cite the book/magazine issue from where it came. If there's no recipe cited, it usually means we made it up... and if there's nothing at all, enjoy the pretty pictures. ;)
4. We don't like ersatz food (i.e. tofu molded into the shape of a turkey for Thanksgiving), but we're funny that way.
5. A brief personal history. We were vegetarian for 7 years, and have been vegan for the last 20 years.
If you have the time, check out the music page.
6. There is no Number 6
Andrea's Easy Vegan Cooking
Cake Maker To The Stars
Cocina Vegana @ Igualdad Animal
Dinner with Dilip
Don't Eat Off The Sidewalk
FatFree Vegan Kitchen
Happy Vegan Cooking
JL Goes Vegan
Melissa's Vegan Blog
meshell in your city
Nom! Nom! Nom! Blog
Oh She Glows
The Blooming Platter
The House Of Simon
The Vegan Mouse
The Vegan Ronin
Vegan & Demanding
Vegan Feast Kitchen
Vegan Soul Power!
The Veracious Vegan
Your Vegan Mom
Raw Food Porn 2012
Raw Food Porn 2011
Raw Food Porn 2010
Raw Food Porn 2009
Raw Food Porn 2008
Raw Food Porn 2007
Raw Food Porn 2006
Raw Food Porn 2005