Deep Dish Pizza
(Follow Your Heart Monterey Jack vegan soy cheese, garlic, black olives, Tofurkey Italian sausages*)
Once again into the deep dish pizza fray... a couple of tweaks this time around -- we dimpled the dough about three minutes into the par-baking (10 minutes at 425F) to keep it from puffing up in the middle too much. We added a little less sauce / filling this time around so it doesn't overwhelm the structure. And finally, we added cornmeal to the bottom of the pan to keep from sticking (which we should have done the last time).
* The kids like the sausages, so that's why they're on there -- also, it looks like they've changed the composition, with chunkier sun-dried tomatoes studding the inside...
1. pressing out the dough.
2. after par-baking...
3. spreading on the tomato sauce.
4. black olives, soy sausage, garlic.
5. adding the soy cheese.
6. baked for 30 minutes at 425, removed from pizza pan, baked directly on the pizza stone for another 7-8 minutes.
7. cooled for 5 minutes and sliced.
the final verdict: very, very close... the bottom crust structure was excellent and held up well, even after sitting out for 20 minutes. Next time we may try baking some cheese into the crust ;)
Sunday, November 26, 2006